What is Surface automation in RPA?

kosmik5

Hi,

I am learning RPA(Robot Automation Testing) using tools loke UiPath and BluePrism. Can anyone suggest me, what is surface automation(SA) techniques in RPA or direct me where i can read more about surface automation techniques?
How does surface automation help in automating flash objects used in website ?
Thank you
Hari

cs.andras

Hi @kosmik5 ,

Basically it mostly consists of image recognition algorythms, OCR (optical character recognition), font-based text-recognition ... and so on. It means that the script will react to what it can/cannot find/read on/from the screen, much like a human eye would. It is a very delicate thing to use because it does not have concrete parameters that the script can use: e.g.: if not configured correctly, the text recognition can misread things like a status and react accordingly (throw an exception for instance) when in reality it could have completed successfully.

I hope it sheds some light on it. :)

Regards,
Andras

Scott92

Great response Andras!

I'm not a user of the RPA tools mentioned, however an easy way to think of this is by your automation making a decision/action based on only what you see at that moment - its particularly useful in situations where a system/process is designed in a way to suit a human user, or where you do not have access to more information behind the scenes (eg. you may not have access to the flash object properties).

It is a less robust approach to hard coding/using object properties but where carefully used, does provide many more opportunities to automate.