"Microsoft Excel has stopped working" message with "Close the Program" link

rickjh123

I have a process that opens and closes excel many times. Periodically excel seems to crash without warning. On the screen you see a pop-up that reads, "Microsoft Excel has stopped working" and a "close the program" link. The process does have several steps to kill excel using the utilities--> kill process action. Not sure if multiple bouts of killing excel could be causing this error. Any suggestions?

In BP I get this message:

ERROR: Internal : Could not execute code stage because exception
thrown by code stage: The remote procedure call failed. (Exception
from HRESULT: 0x800706BE)

Has anyone seen this before, and if so, do you have a solution?

VJR

Not sure if multiple bouts of killing excel could be causing this error. Any suggestions?
Hi rickjh123,

You can close an Excel using the 'Close Instance' or multiples using 'Close All Instances' actions of the MS Excel VBO rather than killing it.

rickjh123

thanks I will suggest that. Do you have any ideas around the error itself? I'm trying to understand why it's happening :)

VJR

thanks I will suggest that. Do you have any ideas around the error itself? I'm trying to understand why it's happening :)
To understand that more you will need to explain your entire process right from the beginning to the end as to how the interaction is made with Excel - where and how is it opened, what all actions are performed on the Excel, how is it closed and then reopened again, etc. On the other hand, sometimes focusing on the solution consumes less of our vital energy than the emphasis on the problem ;).