MS Word VBO Close An Instance

mcandrewe

Hi All,
The MS Word VBO doesn't seem to have any action to close a/all instance(s). This is causing my process to crash after a couple of runs as I think there are instances running on my machine. Blueprism will simply crash when trying to open a document.
The excel vbo has the close instance actions. Is there an equivalent for word?

Regards
Eoin

VJR

Hi mcandrewe,

You're right. A Word instance that was created and opened by the VBO does not close the file and this can be seen by adding a Show stage prior to the Close. Even after the close the main window of the Word application will still be opened on the machine with the unique Id that Blue Prism creates still shown on its title bar. Also the winword exe process will still be visible in the Task Manager indicating that the document is not thoroughly closed.
All I can say is to take a closer look at the code for the Close action and make modifications as required OR the easiest option would be to use the Kill Process action on the winword process after saving the document but in which case will close any other word documents too.

mcandrewe

Hi mcandrewe,

You're right. A Word instance that was created and opened by the VBO does not close the file and this can be seen by adding a Show stage prior to the Close. Even after the close the main window of the Word application will still be opened on the machine with the unique Id that Blue Prism creates still shown on its title bar. Also the winword exe process will still be visible in the Task Manager indicating that the document is not thoroughly closed.
All I can say is to take a closer look at the code for the Close action and make modifications as required OR the easiest option would be to use the Kill Process action on the winword process after saving the document but in which case will close any other word documents too.

Thanks! Used the Kill Process as that's all I need in this case. I would have thought more people would've had this problem.

Reactions: VJR
Hi

When I am trying to open file it is showing in read only status. I have closed file through instance . but still the problem persist. whenever I open the next time it gives me pop message "read only.... "

mcandrewe

Hi

When I am trying to open file it is showing in read only status. I have closed file through instance . but still the problem persist. whenever I open the next time it gives me pop message "read only.... "

If you use CTRL ALT DEL can you see a Word process running? You need to have Blueprism kill this when finished with the file.