error internal could not identify process owning the current foreground window

We automated one web based process. We have used surface automation as well in some of the obejcts.

The issue is that whenever we are running the process in the VM from the control room, without viewing it on a monitor, it is throwing the following exception for all the items in the Queue:

“error internal could not identify process owning the current foreground window”

But if we open the VM and view it on a monitor, it is working perfectly fine, without any exceptions.

Can somebody please help and guide how to resolve it on an urgent basis?

kaku199

hi all,
Anyone has solved this issue 'error internal could not identify process owning the current foreground window” ?
we have same issue . BP process via scheduler runs fine on RR if we monitor it or do "run now"
but it fails via scheduler .

anjali

Hi ,

Anyone has solution for this issue 'error internal could not identify process owning the current foreground window” ?
I am facing same issue . BP process via scheduler runs fine on RR if we monitor it or do "run now"
but it fails via scheduler (Login agent) . And its sporadic in behavior . Reply if any one has solution for this , thank you

Chandan008

I have googled some use cases and also i got to know the root cause of this issue. But im odnt have a concrete solution right now for this.

Though for your information, please go throught the content below.

Remote Desktop is not supported by blueprism. You should not use any RDP connection - the most common software to peek into worker machine is tightVNC, so consider using it instead.
The problem comes form the fact that there are two users logged in onto the same machine. To fix it, restart the machine, login using process "login action" and then start the process from control room.

if anyone gets a concrete solution to this and able to perform the above stuff and gets success, please update. I am not able to perform above steps as my VM is shared with multiple people and eventually faces issue and i cant ask them to logoff either.

Thanks

pdyna

Hi All,

I faced the same issue this week and this forum helped me doing the RCA on the above issue and I finally found a solution that works perfectly for me. Also found some interesting reads on Blue Prism portal that helped me debug this issue.

The issue is mainly caused when Blue Prism tries to ask the operating system for the current foreground window token. The Windows operating system keeps a track of which window currently has the token which designates it as the current foregrounded window. So when the call to Activate Application action is made, Blue Prism asks the OS for this token. Due to the way various applications respond to such requests, or the permission levels for eg on VMs or bitness, Blue Prism is prevented from getting this token. Hence Blue Prism tells you it could not identify the current foreground process window that owns this token.

The solution is
  1. Use "Verify" or "Focus" actions on the application instead of "Activate Application". This highlights the application that you want to foreground.
  2. Make the application run mode to Foreground
With the above two steps my application is running perfectly fine.

Hope this helps :)