Defined Collection

Colin Nelson

I have a defined collection with a large number of fields. (say 100 for the purpose of this question)

I want to add a field (using the add field button) in-between existing fields 56 and 57

When I do this and click OK , the new field becomes field no 101.

I don't want it at the end of the collection ?! I want it to become field 57 with everything else moving down. ?

VJR

Hi Colin Nelson,

You can arrange the collection headings in an Excel in the desired order and then write the Excel sheet to a collection using Get Ws as Collection.
Also for the first time if writing the 100+ fields manually to the Excel is exhausting then you can use the Write Collection action.

VJR

Hi Colin Nelson,

I now see what you are actually trying to seek. The solution I have posted will not work in this case because it is a defined collection. What @adebroise has suggested will perfectly work for this case.

Pete_L

@adebroise, @Colin Nelson:
Please explain how you go about copying a collection definition to the clipboard, pasting into notepad, reordering the fields and copying it back.

I have tried it several times, and have not been successful. This could be an extremely useful tip if I can only get it to work!

Thank you,
Pete_L

Pete_L

Can anyone please tell me how to do this? I have tried several time and cannot get it to work.

Thanks in advance,
Pete_L