Can Blue Prism Automate Smartview? Or Spy Excel Toolbar?

RPAmA

I'm very new to this RPA world. I've been tasked to do a few things in excel using blue prism...

Can I Connect to smartview using blueprism?
Can I spy an already open Excel instance? Maybe identify the toolbar elements and automate smartview that way?

The Smartview login is an IE based window that is spawned from within excel. Once there, I have to click a button and pass a string from Blue prism to complete the login.

In VBA, the connect part is a simple one liner... but in BP this seems to be a monstrous task... Any help is appreciated.

gil.silva

Hello RPAmA,

If you know how to do it in VBA, you can create a very similar (or the same) code in VB.net and put it in the Excel VBO.
It's possible to spy elements in the Excel, but I strongly recommend to use VB.net to do all the interaction.

Good Luck!

RPAmA

We are evaluating this software, the answer to every difficult question has been to code it in VBA and then call the macro from BP. I'm not seeing much value in that.

I can put most VBA code into VB.net but the smartview function set is only available in VBA from what I can tell. Is there a repo of useful VBO items out there I'm not aware of? The default functionality is pretty limited.