Attaching to Excel fails

Daenerys

I have an Excel file that I'd need to read to a collection. It's being opened from the target application as a regular Excel file. The issue with it is that it doesn't seem to get attached properly - or then there is an issue with instances. As I'm trying to read it into collection, it succeeds normally when I do it step by step. If I try to do it in any faster modes, it fails to get anything. I tried to save it to fileshare and read it there; but it only saves an empty Excel sheet. I've tried to copy range to another Excel, which fails. Re-attaching doesn't make any difference. Neither does extra wait-times. Anyone faced that - and how to resolve it?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-03 164605.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-03 164605.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 5

RReed

Hi Daenerys,

Just a few questions regarding your process. Is there a reason as to why you are using an action to click into Excel? Blue Prism should have a Excel VBO object provided along as part of its software which should allow you to do what you are looking for.

There shouldn't be a need to actually click onto excel but instead just have the VBO help you create an instance -> create/open an excel workbook -> add the excel items into collection -> then close instance to terminate the excel. Unless those actions are what you are already performing but just that you had named it differently

Daenerys

Hi Daenerys,

Just a few questions regarding your process. Is there a reason as to why you are using an action to click into Excel? Blue Prism should have a Excel VBO object provided along as part of its software which should allow you to do what you are looking for.

There shouldn't be a need to actually click onto excel but instead just have the VBO help you create an instance -> create/open an excel workbook -> add the excel items into collection -> then close instance to terminate the excel. Unless those actions are what you are already performing but just that you had named it differently
Hi, thanks for taking time to reply to me. The application I'm automating is having a table which is hard to read directly from the application, but it's possible to open it into Excel where copying the data into collection is easier. In the collection I need to index the table to be able to choose the corresponding row in the application. There I had the problem when I was attaching to the Excel that was opened through the application. Eventually I managed to resolve the issue by using the temp name of the Excel file and attaching to that for reading the content. That took some time to figure that out, but the main thing is that it's working now :)